Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Stripping My Sermons


The sound guys have been stripping my sermons. They pull phrases out of context and save them as audio files. Some have been converted to ringtones. The good news that I know they are listening. The bad news is that they are not listening for application. They listen to strip and mix and mashup my message.

Last week Curtis said, "Some Sundays you make it too easy." The evidence was in the Dropbox file:
  • breaking out in the chorus of "Days of Elijah"; I sing flat
  • declaring myself an idiot
  • "admitting" that homosexuality is okay
  • accusing the Holy Spirit of being too loud
  • an apology for spitting on someone while I preached
Then tonight I received an email that Sheldon had remastered my sermon into a rap. "I hope this isn't sacrilegious," he typed (click here for sample).

When I explained the trend to another person this week, she said, "You must know what it feels like to be a politician." Media and sound technicians are masters of manipulation. They can turn any phrase into a political firestorm. They can make any homily into heresy, if they strip it from its context. Meaning grows out of context.

But as much as this sounds like an indictment against the sound guys, I'm happy they've found a trade in exploiting my preaching for their entertainment. I'm guilty of the inverse on a regular basis: I exploit their entertainment for my preaching (and blog). Some Sundays they make it too easy.

No comments: