Sunday, July 25, 2010

Disservice

Wesley launched his hands into the air. Had I been standing a few inches closer, he might have caught my jaw in an uppercut. For the price of praise, a bloody lip was a widow's mite. This was Momentum Youth Conference, and Wesley was ecstatic.

So were the other 1900 kids as we sang. And I still can't decide if that is glorious or a shame.



The first day I attended conference, Aaron Keyes and his Atlanta-based band led us in worship. Typically, I join the words 'worship' and 'leadership' tentatively. (Across the country worship leading undoubtedly rises above the tasks of preparation and presentation. Smiles and segues move listless congregants along. Once in a while people are encouraged to rise, bow, clap, or pray silently. But my suspicion is that most worship leaders do little more than advance singers to the next slide, who have learned well from their pastors to 'stick to the script.')

Aaron Keyes was not a typical worship leader. Behind the heavenly teeth and devilish hair, he showcased a passion for the Psalms, sensitivity to the Spirit, surplus of joy, and excess of humility. He challenged us to pray for God's 'manifest presence,' distinguishing this concept from omnipresence. He uttered a few Hebrew gutturals. He spoke theologically rich names for God from the Old Testament.

Youth bounced and shouted. Adults clapped and spun around. Led.

The problem is that Aaron Keyes does not lead worship at my church. Or yours. And the speakers at conference do not speak at my church. (Or yours). One of the keynote speakers, Greg Speck, likened the euphoria of the big event to Thanksgiving diner. Feasting every day (or Sunday) is unsustainable. The collision of crowds, celebrity speakers, rock stars, and pubescent spirituality is unsustainable.

And the problem is that these kids will return to churches that struggle to excite, energize, and relate to the younger generation. At my church. Or yours. The music will remain dated to placate the generations. The sermons will remain theoretical to appease the theologians. The relationships will remain surface to sustain comfort. In a word, weekly church gatherings are irrelevant.

Worship, Aaron Keyes would likely tell me, is service to God in body, heart, and mind (Romans 12:1-2). The spiritual act of service we call our youth to must be both sustainable and relevant.
If Sunday morning's gathering, in the post-conference, real life context proved anything, it was that youth who attended Momentum may have eaten too much turkey. Body, heart, and mind appeared lethargic.

Then again, maybe the local church portioned out stale bread. Somewhere there has been a disservice.

4 comments:

jordan said...

"In a word, weekly church gatherings are irrelevant." I couldn't disagree more.

Honestly, it sounds like you're pretty upset... I wish you would just come out and say what you mean in simple english. It would help to clarify the clouds you construct to say how you really feel.

In a couple of words: Be blunt.

If I read your blog right, I couldn't disagree.

Sprained Ankle said...

Jordan, thanks for the read and critique. I am not upset, but perpetually confused: I like both the energy of youth conference and the consistency of the Sunday service. Unfortunately, their byproducts (e.g., unsustainability, irrelevance) cheapen both experiences.

At Adult Conference a pastor confessed: "Churches don't die from heresy, they die from boredom." That was an interesting remark from a rather fine pastor/theologian.

Our task is not to entertain, but we could address questions and concerns that people have. That is a healthy example of relevance.

willtolive said...

Spanky, If Momentum had Sound Investment and Matt Nightingale, you would be inspired and see all of this differently.! ;)


Got your message, I will look them up when I get a chance...Thanks for the heads up!

...also,I have been "semi-writing" a blog too, recently, if you were interested in reading...

jordan said...

noted.

also, for the record Bethany and I took a position at Community Gospel Church in Bremen Indiana which means I will be located by your area. I would love to connect regularly with you if you're interested.

Shoot me a e-mail at jordan.muck@gmail.com with some contact info and I'll give you a buzz or txt (because after all, who wants to talk on the phone right?).

Hope you're doing well.

-jordan