Monday, September 14, 2009

Target

Yesterday I was a target. I should have known when a member of the church wanted to make sure I would be available and up front during the announcements. He was tasked to inspire involvement with our fall festival.

The theme of the festival is Get Flushed, playing on sewer imagery. Within three months everyone in the town of Leesburg (IN) has to abandon their septic tanks and hook up to the communal sewer system. People balk at change, especially when it is mandated at the tune of several thousand dollars. Our church wants to bring levity to the situation. If change is inevitable, we assume you might as well embrace it joyfully.

This brings me back to the front of the church with a toilet seat in my hands. The man at the microphone had given it to me, and he begins explaining the nature of a game called Toilet Paper Toss. One sentence into his explanation, and I cringe: A synchronized front of church people, armed with toilet paper rolls, stands to deliver. On cue they launch their single-ply missiles, unraveling as they soar through the air. I duck and dodge, repositioning the toilet seat, but recognizing that it is simply a prop; Pastor Tim (PT) is the real bulls-eye.

The conclusion was humorous. The man at the microphone said, "We wanted to see what it was like to Tepee PT." Sometimes pastors get hit. They are easy targets.

"And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints" (Eph. 6:18, NIV)

No comments: