Monday, June 29, 2009

B-I-B-L-E

My daughter and niece fought a battle over the Bible this morning. While my wife prepared breakfast and I poured coffee, the two little girls raised their voices at one another vying for spiritual ascendancy. James and John wanted the seats closest to Jesus; Claire and Mahlia wanted the title for Best Version of The B-I-B-L-E. Interrupting and increasing volume, each girl tried to out-Bible the other.

We learn at a young age the importance of fighting for the Bible. Unfortunately, both children sang errant versions of the tune. They dropped words and missed notes. They were probably influenced by liberal scholars and moralistic teachers. Fortunately they have an evangelical dad/uncle to correct them. And their mother/aunt has a lovely singing voice.

As the scene unfolded, I couldn't help but wonder if this childish scene wasn't reflective of evangelicalism on the whole. Sometimes we fight others singing the same song because we like our voices better. We like our versions better. We like our pitch better. We like us.

By the end of breakfast, instead of standing alone on the word of God, we simply stand alone. Our B-I-B-L-E-beaten cousin has dashed off crying with a soiled diaper and a runny nose.

3 comments:

Debbie said...

Tim,
Well said......
your blog/writings always make me smile......
Miss you guys! but Love you more!

willtolive said...

Well, it is official, I will be in Winona passing through on Fri 17th. Let me know if you want to play long pong with me and James!

willtolive said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.