Monday, March 23, 2009

Buried

I dreamed that an old man approached me to praise a blog I'd recently written. He was a retired pastor--which some pastors take as an oxymoron, but not this one--and I was simply impressed he knew what a blog was. Doubly in that he read mine.

His comment related to a specific blog that I've never actually written. In fact, it was a blog I've vowed never to write: one that parrots a sermon I preached the previous Sunday. In fact, the dream-blog-that-I-never-wrote was an alliterated sermon summary. The reason I would never write that blog is because, while I like my sermon enough to preach them, I don't like them enough to place them on public domain and reduce them to a textual summary.

People can read the Bible themselves. People can understand the Bible themselves (especially with the rampantly footnoted and commentated Bibles available at your local bookstore). People can drink of the same Holy Spirit that the pastor does (or doesn't) when he prepares. For these reasons and more, preaching is not the primary context for biblical literacy, but for shared biblical experience.*

(If you're looking for the former, try the library, kitchen table, or couch in the living room. If you want the latter, come and L-G-B-C)

Back to the old man and the dream: He told me he really like that particular sermon-rehash blog because he could actually understand what I was talking about. Apparently, the old man buried in the subconscious of my dreams finds my posts something short of lucid.

Fortunately, the young man of my conscious thinks that teaching can occur (and is best achieved) in the obscure asides. Sometimes hidden in the middle is a core truth.

1 comment:

Sprained Ankle said...

*I understand this statement could be grossly misunderstood, in which case, I've started the forum for explaining what I mean.