Monday, February 16, 2009

Zondervan's Tithe: Flickering Pixels

Zondervan gave me 'permission' to use Shane Hipps's new book, Flickering Pixels as a spring board for an 18-day blog adventure. There is one caveat: Only 10% of what is written on this site can directly quote the author. While this may not make the list in Leviticus, what I'm dealing with here is a copyright tithe. The other 90% of the book I have to burn. Don't worry, the publishers told me you could purchase through them ( USD $16.00), if you don't want my ashes.

The blog series is, foremost, a challenge to me--considering I average a post every 10 days, I am pressuring myself to write daily for nearly three weeks. (I will honor the Sabbath and keep it holy.) More importantly, though, I hope to join Flickering Pixels with the biblical narrative to develop what Hipps labels a 'theology of technology' (pg. 18).

My apologies to the author for using a medium as 'ill-suited for deep level analysis' as a blog to begin this conversation (pg. 146). Then again, I invite any reader of this blog to prove Hipps wrong and comment during the next 18 days. This is my medium. This is my message.

I invite you to explore Babel with me, and form a theology of technology. The building project may draw us closer to God. As Hipps writes, "Any serious study of God is a study of communication, and ... of the media and technology we use to communicate" (pg. 13).

Is anyone listening?
__________________
Integrity Check (these words included):
My Words: 266
Hipps' Words: 29
Percentage: 10.9%

(NOTE: Let's consider the 10% a round figure....and always round down!)

5 comments:

4suchatimeasthis said...

I count only 28 quoted words, which leaves you at 10.5 percent...

Sometimes comments come slowly because the reader (me) wants to think before 'speaking' about somethink.

4suchatimeasthis said...

*something

Sprained Ankle said...

Perhaps that proves the point that a blog is a poor form of critical thinking. By the time the right comment comes, the post may be history!

The # may have been off because I relied on the Word Count Tool, not my eyes and finger. Counting is too difficult.

Sprained Ankle said...

Perhaps that proves the point that a blog is a poor form of critical thinking. By the time the right comment comes, the post may be history!

The # may have been off because I relied on the Word Count Tool, not my eyes and finger. Counting is too difficult.

Sprained Ankle said...

Spell-check is a wonderfully, double-edged technology. When I edited essays for high school students in Denver I was appalled at their poverty with letters.