Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Tribute

I've never been a bigger fan of MOPS than right now. An international, faith-based organization that reaches out to 'mothers of pre-schoolers', MOPS is a bulwark for feminine sanity. While the children play, color, fill diapers, and hear stories, the moms get a break. Nothing feeds the misery-loves-company machine better than a morning away from children and a table spread with pastries. Speakers, crafts, and prizes are merely consolation prizes.

MOPS assures that my wife has opportunity to speak in full sentences and use polysyllabic words before eight o'clock at night; that she'll get two hours of reprieve from having her lap occupied and need for the phrase 'Quit whining' -- that is, if there are no especially needy moms there; that she can retreat to the restroom with the promise of privacy and no unsolicited offers to wipe her.

But, selfish as I am, the reason I applaud MOPS today is because it is my bulwark. For five days my wife has been vacationing, and I have been entrusted with the lonesome duty of caring for/raising/discipling my two daughters. Now I have precisely one hour and forty-five minutes to attend my soul, manage my accounts, and maintain my workload.

So if I don't close this entry with a tidy analogy about my renewed appreciation for stay-at-home parents, it's because I have dishes to do and laundry to fold.

Who can find a virtuous and capable wife...
Her children stand and bless her.
Her husband praises her:
“There are many virtuous and capable women in the world,
but you surpass them all!”
(Proverbs 31:10-31)

1 comment:

Martinfamily33 said...

I love you Tim, best blog EVER