Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Compliment

Faces are fairly easy to read while I preach. They're Large Print versions of first grade phonics. Nods, smiles, bright eyes, closed eyes, furrowed brows, and yawns all tell me something. This is boring. This is confusing. This is comforting. This is true.

On Sunday I noticed a face that said, "I need this." Every time I looked at that face, the line was the same. "I need this. I need this. I need this."

A sermon is not what the face needed; it gets one every week. It need food. It needed water. It needed strength for the soul. Unfortunately, sermons aren't always prepared like family dinners, and appetites are too often ruined by thoughtless grazing.

But one appetite was ready. "Thanks, pastor, that hit the spot."

I think this is what Jesus meant when he asked Peter to feed His sheep.

No comments: